Best Self Defense Handgun
Before deciding on the best self defense handgun, there are a number of things to consider. First, if you are not familiar with them, handguns are basically designed with defense in mind, and are for the most part compact and easily held and fired with one hand.
There are many different types of handguns, with a bunch of different variations. There are semi-automatic guns, fully automatic guns, revolvers, and more. The most recent trend shows more people have been buying guns for self defense reasons than ever before. Finding the best self defense handgun for you takes a bit of thought. Below are some things to consider before making a purchase. The best handgun is one that has been designed primarily for self defense, is easy to use and conceal, and fits with your needs. There are a number of questions you must answer before deciding which gun is for you.
- What are the laws? Check into the laws where you live. Some guns are illegal in certain locales for various reasons. Purchasing a self defense weapon only to find it is illegal where you live can delay your safety.
- Are there children in your home? If so, you need a plan to secure the gun well before you purchase. You might want to consider getting a gun safe or, at the very least, a trigger lock for your guns.
- Will the gun be used by more than one person? If more than one person is going to have access to the gun, it must be one that fits the needs of all parties. For instance, if a female and male are going to be using it, caliber, weight, and ease of use must be considered. You may want to go with a smaller and lighter gun in this case.
- Do you need a permit? Getting a concealed weapon permit is the best thing to do so all of your legal bases are covered. Check into local laws to find out how to obtain your concealed carry weapons permit. In almost all scenarios, you will be required to take a class and register with your County Sherrif’s Office.
- Are you familiar with firearms? If you have never fired a gun, you may want to take this into account. The best idea is to go to a firing range to test out some of the guns that you are considering buying. Most places have a large variety of guns available for you to shoot. You will need to buy the ammunition and probably pay a per hour fee to use the facility, but it is well worth it.
- Is the weapon comfortable? You definitely want to find the weapon that is most comfortable for you. Since you will most likely be carrying this gun on a regular basis, you need to make sure you have confidence in it.
Best Self Defense Handgun – Next Steps
After these questions are answered, and you know what your best self defense handgun is, you can go on with the process of buying it.
A Great Choice for Your Best Self Defense Handgun
Considering everything above, we like the Smith & Wesson Model 640 Revolver, a .38 Special. We believe it to be one of the best self defense handguns available, especially if multiple people are using it. It is light, at 23 ounces empty, it has a short barrel that makes it easy to draw and conceal, and it has a simple, compact design. It is also extremely accurate, especially considering the short barrel. Both men and women will find it is easy to handle. This classic style has stood the test of time, and continues to be one of the most popular self defense weapons on the market with good reason. Another word of advice. If you are planning on concealing this weapon, it is best to buy a holster. Not only will this keep the gun safe, but if needed, it makes the gun a lot easier to access. A holster can also carry extra ammunition. When there is an emergency situation, being able to get to your gun in a timely fashion could mean the difference between life and death.
The best self defense handgun may be totally different for you, so do your research and know what you want well before you make a purchase.